I've heard it said that with age comes a certain perspective. I couldn't agree more.
This realization - that "OMG! I must be getting...wiser!" - dawned on me while in a meeting in the office. The meeting was unexpectedly turning to be a long one and everybody was getting restless and a bit hungry. So coffee and some snacks were ordered from the in-house resto/cafe.
When the waiter arrived and served food, I leaned over and made quiet small talk with him. He gave one big generous smile as he chatted a bit. I noticed him sneaking glances at me as he served the others.
He has been a waiter a long time and has served us countless times in meetings. I wondered what those "glances" were all about. I had thought that maybe he was noticing my cuteness for the first time (yeah right!). It was only when I looked down on my notes that I realized that the front of my blouse gaped wide and a bit of flesh shown when I leaned over to chat with the waiter. So that's what the generous smile and the glances were all about. Hah!
Had this happened, say 10 years ago, I would've shrieked in horror and would have felt embarrassed and indignant as hell. I would have been insulted at somehow being visually molested.
As it is, I found the whole thing quite amusing. In fact, I would've felt insulted had he NOT taken at least a second look. See? Perspective.
Last week, I found zit growing on my face. It's a telltale sign of changing hormones (or whatever) and that I'm about to have my period. In years past, I would've given a frantic cry of panic at having pimples on my face. Now, as I look at myself in the mirror and find zit just waiting to pop, I tell myself with a smile, "Uyyy! Nagdalaga ka na!"
I could've let that scene with the waiter bother me. I could've let the pimples (or a stained shirt or the heavy traffic or ...whatever really) ruin my day. But in such instances, I remember what my sister always tells me, "Will this thing that you're upset about matter years from now? If not, then just let it go." And I did - I let them go and let them be.
This "growing ol...I mean, wiser" thing could be something to dread and fear. But I will...I am choosing to welcome it with excitement. I choose to let go and let God take me where His road leads me. Instead of flinching at the thought, I choose to smile and look forward to the changes that come with getting "wiser". And I choose to delete the word "old" from my vocabulary.
Everything IS, after all, just a matter of choice...a matter of perspective.
No comments:
Post a Comment