A few months ago, I celebrated my birthday. For the first time since Mom passed away, I felt giddy enough to remember and celebrate it. But I didn't want to just celebrate my birthday...I wanted to celebrate God's goodness.
So I thought of holding a party...a big one! With 200 guests, I was thinking. Well, I was expecting 200 - but lo and behold, I was to celebrate the party with a little less than 300 partygoers. The guests? They're the lolos and lolas at the Lualhati ng Maynila, the home for the aged in the Boystown complex in Marikina .
I had really expected to party with only around 200 oldies, which was still quite a humongous number for me. But 300? The number was enough to give me palpitations. I mean that's like holding a debut or wedding reception.
For the past 10 years or so, my sister, Miles, has been throwing celebrations at Lualhati in honor of our dad's birthday. And for the past 10 years, I had never gone with Miles (who usually went with Mom, when she was still around, and Ricky) to any of the parties because just the thought of being with lolos and lolas who were abandoned by their families tugged at my heart and brought me to tears. I had only given support either in cash or in gifts.
I had originally planned on celebrating merienda with them. But the administrator requested if we could have supper instead. Miles, who was doing all the talking, agreed readily and even asked if there was anything else the oldies needed. Safeguard soap, we were told. I think my sister got so excited and carried away and forgot that I WAS GOING TO SPEND FOR THIS PARTY AND NOT HEEEEER!!!
Celebrating with merienda even for such a large crowd of 300 guests was manageable for me. But supper? I agreed anyway but not without some degree of panic.
My mom's favorite caterer and I agreed on pancit (for long life, op kors!), fish fillet and pineapple chicken. I wanted to give more than just food though and thought of giving them their requested soap. But providing supper to 300 people already streeeeeetched my budget.
But God knows the desires of my heart and surprised me with these miracles:
Drinks. Darling couple, Baby and Mon, didn't just join in the celebration...they provided the juice drinks in the party. Wow! Yahoo!
Clothes. Sweethearts, Evy and Henry, gave a bunch of nice clothes for the lolas. Woopee!
Safeguard soap. Now this was tricky. I sorely wanted to give the lolos and lolas their requested soap. So I went to the supermarket and canvassed. As I stood by the soap section, I computed like mad at how much it would cost me to supply each one with soap. Php8,000.00!!! Sigh! I whispered a prayer "Lord, I want to but...?
Miles’ friends, Ethel, Rica and Cindy wanted to go and party with the oldies but couldn’t. Instead, they gave their gifts (cash) to the lolos and lolas totaling – you guessed it – Php8,000.00!!! The lolos and lolas got their soaps.
Party people. The party couldn’t have been fun or special without my family and friends who took time to be with these lolos and lolas. Miles and Ricky, who were familiar faces to the oldies, chatted with the lolos and lolas like they were family. My friends, Baby, Mon, Mela and Atty. Kristy also became surrogate families as they chatted and cheered and danced and sang with the oldies.
I had expected to leave depressed and sad. Instead, I left the place feeling like a star. . . a Star For No Reason. I have never been kissed and hugged so much in my life. Every kiss and hug and smile humbled and overwhelmed me. Tears welled in my eyes and it took a Herculean effort for me not to give in to the tears.
I had not really intended to write about my birthday celebration lest it be told that I’m a show off. But I can't help but show off. . . show off God’s goodness and love, that is. How can I not tell friends of His loving kindness? Of His provision and of His miracles and gifts?
The lolos and lolas I'm sure were overjoyed with the visit, the food, the gifts, the dancing and the singing. Me? I (and I feel certain my family and friends felt the same) went away the richer and more blessed for it. It was indeed a celebration. . . of life, God's love, goodness and grace.
God is good!
So I thought of holding a party...a big one! With 200 guests, I was thinking. Well, I was expecting 200 - but lo and behold, I was to celebrate the party with a little less than 300 partygoers. The guests? They're the lolos and lolas at the Lualhati ng Maynila, the home for the aged in the Boystown complex in Marikina .
I had really expected to party with only around 200 oldies, which was still quite a humongous number for me. But 300? The number was enough to give me palpitations. I mean that's like holding a debut or wedding reception.
For the past 10 years or so, my sister, Miles, has been throwing celebrations at Lualhati in honor of our dad's birthday. And for the past 10 years, I had never gone with Miles (who usually went with Mom, when she was still around, and Ricky) to any of the parties because just the thought of being with lolos and lolas who were abandoned by their families tugged at my heart and brought me to tears. I had only given support either in cash or in gifts.
I had originally planned on celebrating merienda with them. But the administrator requested if we could have supper instead. Miles, who was doing all the talking, agreed readily and even asked if there was anything else the oldies needed. Safeguard soap, we were told. I think my sister got so excited and carried away and forgot that I WAS GOING TO SPEND FOR THIS PARTY AND NOT HEEEEER!!!
Celebrating with merienda even for such a large crowd of 300 guests was manageable for me. But supper? I agreed anyway but not without some degree of panic.
My mom's favorite caterer and I agreed on pancit (for long life, op kors!), fish fillet and pineapple chicken. I wanted to give more than just food though and thought of giving them their requested soap. But providing supper to 300 people already streeeeeetched my budget.
But God knows the desires of my heart and surprised me with these miracles:
Drinks. Darling couple, Baby and Mon, didn't just join in the celebration...they provided the juice drinks in the party. Wow! Yahoo!
Clothes. Sweethearts, Evy and Henry, gave a bunch of nice clothes for the lolas. Woopee!
Safeguard soap. Now this was tricky. I sorely wanted to give the lolos and lolas their requested soap. So I went to the supermarket and canvassed. As I stood by the soap section, I computed like mad at how much it would cost me to supply each one with soap. Php8,000.00!!! Sigh! I whispered a prayer "Lord, I want to but...?
Miles’ friends, Ethel, Rica and Cindy wanted to go and party with the oldies but couldn’t. Instead, they gave their gifts (cash) to the lolos and lolas totaling – you guessed it – Php8,000.00!!! The lolos and lolas got their soaps.
Party people. The party couldn’t have been fun or special without my family and friends who took time to be with these lolos and lolas. Miles and Ricky, who were familiar faces to the oldies, chatted with the lolos and lolas like they were family. My friends, Baby, Mon, Mela and Atty. Kristy also became surrogate families as they chatted and cheered and danced and sang with the oldies.
I had expected to leave depressed and sad. Instead, I left the place feeling like a star. . . a Star For No Reason. I have never been kissed and hugged so much in my life. Every kiss and hug and smile humbled and overwhelmed me. Tears welled in my eyes and it took a Herculean effort for me not to give in to the tears.
I had not really intended to write about my birthday celebration lest it be told that I’m a show off. But I can't help but show off. . . show off God’s goodness and love, that is. How can I not tell friends of His loving kindness? Of His provision and of His miracles and gifts?
The lolos and lolas I'm sure were overjoyed with the visit, the food, the gifts, the dancing and the singing. Me? I (and I feel certain my family and friends felt the same) went away the richer and more blessed for it. It was indeed a celebration. . . of life, God's love, goodness and grace.
God is good!
No comments:
Post a Comment