Thursday, May 12, 2011

if only...at least

It has been sometime since that historic day. That day seemed like any typical uneventful Friday . . . until we learned of the earthquake and the tsunami tragedies that befell Japan. We were in the middle of work when we heard the news. We all stopped whatever it was were doing to take in what was happening. Everyone, in shock, had one thing to say or another.

Some said, not without dread, "Naku, kailangan magsisi na tayooo!"

There were those who prompted us, "Hoooy! Magbago na tayo noh!"

One, however, was more concerned with the pronunciation of tsunami and corrected "that it's not pronounced 'chunami' but 'sunami'" (Goodness!).

And of course there were those who fearfully called to mind the Mayan End of World Prophecy, "Baka nga magkatotoo yung hula sa 2012!"

Embarrassing though it may be, but the first thoughts that came to my mind was, "Dapat talaga mag-asawa na ‘ko...I don't want to leave this world not doing. . . something...anything!!! Heck no!" I even compromised my "list" and said to myself, "Ok na kahit X-men!” Problem is, not even X-men are making "patol". (sigh)

I know I'm making light of and downplaying a serious situation . . . a deadly serious situation. Truth of the matter, the images and footage that splashed on the internet and in the news horrified me. The thought of such disasters taking place here at home shook me (no pun intended). To say that it was heartbreaking is an understatement. It plain scared and saddened me.

The devastation that hit Japan made me see things in a totally different light. This has made me turn my “if only’s” to “at least”. So now, whenever I think -


…if only I am not alone, I say at least I have a sister and her family and my friends who, I’m pretty sure, care and love me. There were those who lost entire families;


…if only I were rich, I say at least I have enough to sustain me, and then some. There are millions in this world who are hungry;


…if only I had a better job, I say at least I have work. There are many who are without jobs or prospects;.


…if only my house is in tiptop shape…at least I have a roof over my head I can call my own. There are those who live on the streets;


…if only I had a newish car. At least my vintage (a.k.a., ancient) car has had its uses and has brought me to places and has been “of service” to many friends. There are those who walk miles just to get to where they’re going;


…if only I were beautiful…at least I’m cute. ‘nuff said!


We as a people complain just about everything - the weather, traffic, workload, finances, food, the government, the church, our bosses, being single, being married, having ids, not having kids, the noise, the silence. Nothing is ever good enough for us.


But armed with this new perspective, I have learned that there is an "at least" in every situation...even death. We will never know why God allows tragedies to happen, or the reasons for them, but one thing I do know and believe in...His plans, His actions, are far better and bigger than any of ours.

No comments:

Post a Comment