The long respite from blogging the goings-on in my life as an OFW has, hopefully, come to an end as I embark on a new journey… and I mean “journey” in the literal sense as the Training team relocated to its new base- CEBU CITY!
Just
when I was getting used to the life in Iloilo, a marching order for the whole
team to transfer to Cebu was issued. A new culture. A new
language. A new home. A new set of people to work with.
A whole new world! I bet it’s easier for a Manileno to adjust in
California than in Cebu…or maybe the problem’s just with me.
Everybody insists I should speak
Cebuano. The thing is, I have never had a penchant for
languages. Any language outside Tagalog or English simply is alien – mind
you, not just foreign, but totally alien to me! As I try to learn my way
around Cebu City, I needed to learn the Cebuano version of “bayad” – its
“pliti” And I swear, every single time I say “pliti” to pay my fare, I
hear in my head the song from West Side Story that goes, “I feel so
pliti, oh so pliti…”
When you’re in Cebu and you’re riding a
jeepney, I’d advise you to practice puckering up or keep in hand a five peso
coin. Urban Dictionary defines “pucker up” as sticking out your lips in
preparation for a kiss. So why “pucker up” or keep in hand a
five peso coin you ask? Well, one can do both or either of these things to signal the
driver that you’re getting off: 1) tap the hand rail three times
with the coin or; 2) “pucker up” and make a loud “tsup, tsup” kissy sound. No “para mama!”
And,
for the life of me, I always seem to be interchanging “dili” and “diri” (or is
it spelled “dire”?). So when I was ordering my snacks at a food
stall in Shopwise and the cashier asked, “Makaon dire?” A
bubble thought appeared before me as I tried translating what she just said:
was it “Dito mo kakainin (as in “for here”)?” or “Hindi
mo kakainin? (as in “to go”)? I simply stared right at
her and nodded my head in agreement to whatever she just said. I
decided that if she wrapped my food “to go” style, I’d simply unwrap and eat
it.
I’ve
totally decided to look for another room/apartment even if I have to pay double
what I’m paying now. I’m renting a
teeny-weeny tiny room in an apartment that I’m supposed to share with another
tenant. I hate to complain but to say I’m out of my “comfort zone”
is an understatement. Aside from the fact that I share the toilet
and bathroom with another tenant and “spiderman”, the only things I can do
in my room are: stand, turn and look around, bend over my luggage to get my
stuff and lie down on my bed. If I make any big moves, I’d
bump into things (the bed, the side table, my luggage, etc). Or
maybe it’s just I have too much stuff - I arrived in Iloilo with a
big luggage filled with what I thought I was all I needed. When I left
Iloilo, I brought with me my big luggage, two balikbayan boxes and two smaller
boxes… plus of course let’s not forget my foldable ever reliable comfy
mattress.
I’ve
been in Cebu City less than a week and so far:
1)
I’m still so disoriented with the
public transpo system I had to ask bespren Randy to pick me up and drop me off
the apartment everyday. Maybe in a year’s time I’ll get the hang of it
2)
I’ve been “chanced upon” – in
Tagalog “na-chansingan” ako when this guy rubbed his arm against
mine as we were walking along the busy streets of Fuente area. I
wonder though – was he really trying to RUB against me? Or was he trying
to ROB me of my watch? Hmmm….
3)
I’ve been cursed at….at least I
think so. I really wouldn’t know since whatever they were saying (rather,
shouting) were alien to me. I guess there’s some good in not really
understanding an alien language hehe
Hey! All these sound so
familiar. They’re so like Manila! Maybe I’ll feel right at home sooner
than expected.
But there is one place I am so sure I am always welcome, one where I will never get lost in, one where I always feel at home in - it's my home in the loving arms of my Father and that is where I bask in when I feel alone and lost and questioning. HE places me right where I should be and right now, lost though I may be, in translation and among crowd and in the busy streets of Cebu City, I trust…I believe…I know I am where He wants me to be.
But there is one place I am so sure I am always welcome, one where I will never get lost in, one where I always feel at home in - it's my home in the loving arms of my Father and that is where I bask in when I feel alone and lost and questioning. HE places me right where I should be and right now, lost though I may be, in translation and among crowd and in the busy streets of Cebu City, I trust…I believe…I know I am where He wants me to be.
No comments:
Post a Comment