Wally, a colleague in the office, is a proud new father to a
cute 5-month old baby boy, Elijah. One
time, he was showing off pics from his mobile phone of baby Elijah with a big
toothless smile, of Elijah sitting awkwardly in-between cushions, of Elijah doing
absolutely doing nothing but look curiously at the camera. Wally was beaming with pride! And I wondered why…Elijah was doing what
every baby boy does.
Not to be outdone, I showed a video of my 7-month old
nephew, Inigo, being turned-over in a forward roll by his teacher at Little Gym
(Yes, 7-month old Inigo is already in school doing baby school stuff). I showed a video of Inigo crawling eagerly
to get a toy, of inigo drooling over a ball, of Inigo doing absolutely nothing
but look curiously at the camera. I was
a proud aunty! And then I understood why
Wally beamed with pride and joy.
I recall these moments with a smile….because as proud as
Wally and I were, I realized that must be exactly, may be even more, how our
Father looks at us. How loving and tender
He must look at us as we come to Him in thanksgiving. How He must look at us with compassionate and
kindly eyes as we come to Him, humbly asking for favors. How He must look at us with joyful eyes as
we show our love and compassion for the unlovable and generosity for the
needy. How He must beam with pride at
us…we are, after all, His children.
But children grow up.
And sometimes we grow to forget to give thanks. Sometimes we grow to think we can rely on our
own reasons and strengths. Sometimes we
grow to be indifferent and petulant and even unforgiving of those who have
less. Sometimes we forget our
Father. And it is at these moments when our
Father looks at us with eyes of pain and heartache.
Many times I have
caused that sad look in His eyes. Many a
times I have caused His heart to break. But still, I feel His
hand reach out in love as He blesses me in more ways than I deserve. He loves me still… in spite of my sinfulness. In fact, He sent His son FOR me.
I
long and will try my darndest to put that beam of pride and joy in my
Father's eyes. It IS going to be tough. It IS going to be long. It IS
going to be a challenge. It may take days....nay, years, maybe decades
even. No matter if it takes me 7... or 70 years...the beam of joy in my
Father's eyes will be well worth it.
No comments:
Post a Comment