Thursday, April 22, 2010

my super-duper-extra-mini feeding program

Since joining bo sanchez’ kerygma family, I’ve been receiving inspirational messages, the most recent of which says “focus on how you can impact the world with God’s love.” And I was inspired to share this…. (again, please bear with my looooong sharing)

I’ve always heard people say “how can I make a difference in this world?” I, myself, have asked that very question. I mean I’m not in a position of power or wealth or influence to make life-changing laws or build schools or houses or donate large sums of money. Nor do I have the inclination (at least I don’t think so) to organize fund raising or charity events. That’s why I admire and love my sister for her penchant and drive to organize “parties” for the lolos and lolas at the home for the aged or at the orphanage. Along with her husband, they shell out some pretty mean hard-earned money to give the lolos and lolas a hearty lunch (sometimes with merienda to boot), some good time and loot bags (God bless them!). Family (including myself) and friends do give what we can or help out at these events. But this doesn’t seem to be enough…at least for me.

So how can I make a difference? There’s this bookstore in the mini mall in our village that I frequent during weekends. In one of my visits to the store, I noticed this old lady in shabby clothes sitting by the sidewalk where I parked my car. One look and you’d know she’s a beggar…but as I watched her, I noticed that she didn’t hold out her hand or ask people to beg for whatever. If people gave her coins or food, she graciously thanked them. I felt compassion for this gracious lady and I went back to the mini-mall to buy some food at the grocery.

It started out with a sandwich or bread or biscuits and a bottle of water, just enough for a meal, or two if she stretched it that far. I regularly went back every weekend and the groceries grew from a day’s worth to a few days’ (maybe even a week’s) worth of goodies. This has been going for months and I called this my super-duper-extra-mini feeding program. I realized that what I can do need not change the whole world….just someone’s world. It can start with just one.

I never shared this with anyone before lest people think I’m being such a goody-goody or that I might lose the merit of the service. But now I believe that if, with this sharing, I can move just one person to do the same thing or make a friend re-think his/her priorities or inspire someone to act with compassion, then I have helped change someone else’s world.

It need not be an old shabby lady…it could be a friend in need of someone to listen, or a family who needs forgiveness or an officemate who needs understanding, or a stranger who needs a smile…it just starts with one. So let’s make a difference and impact someone’s world with God’s love…now!

No comments:

Post a Comment