Tuesday, May 4, 2010

filipinos abroad - maui experience (3rd installment)

Hi prenships! Here’s the 3rd installment of my maui experience series (hope you're not sick of it yet).

Before I went to Hawaii, I had thought that the art of wearing a flower behind the ear and wearing floral shirts and dresses were just cultural or traditional thingy much like our Filipiniana dresses and exquisitely designed barong tagalogs ( I mean I don’t know about you, but I only see Filipinianas worn during cultural or special events like weddings). But I was wrong… the locals in Hawaii wore floral dresses and gowns and shirts all the time.

And the art of wearing a flower behind the ear? I thought it was just that – art …as in “ka-artehan”. But the women wore it and I found it lovely and fascinating. So I started wearing a flower behind my ear whenever possible. I first wore a flower behind my right ear. But my hair kept getting in the way and falling all over the flower, eventually covering it all up.

So I started wearing a flower behind my left ear.

I thought I looked cool (and sometimes funny) and blended in with the locals. Sure I did but wearing it behind my left ear was a BIG mistake!!! I didn’t know that wearing it meant something… on the left ear, it means you are married, engaged or with someone; on the right ear you are free. Gosh! Now at least I have something to blame for my lack of “hunting” success in Hawaii …hehehe. It was fun though….like playing dress-up.

Incidentally, let me tell you my realization that we Filipinos are so Filipinos more so when we’re abroad (and for those who’ve been abroad, especially in the US of A, you know what I’m talking about). I mean, you can spot a Filipino a mile away in an airport. How? She’d be standing beside four balikbayan boxes…at least. I was in Hawaii for more than 2 weeks and I didn’t think I would need one, right? Well, I was stubborn enough not to put my stuff in a balikbayan box and I ended up with two pieces of broken luggage…as in one luggage lost two of its wheels and broke its handle (that’s how heavy my stuff was) while the other one…well you just have to see it. So heed to the wisdom of using a balikbayan box.

Most Filipinos hate the sun, don't you agree?. I probably stood out in Hawaii….because while everyone else was basking in the sun, I was under a tree or shade. And if I had to walk some distance to go to a store or a scenic spot, I’d go running like my life depended on it. People probably thought I was crazy (well, they wouldn’t be far off their guess).

And while we were on a beach, my “tita” and I started collecting whitish smooth round just-the-right-size rocks. Right-size rocks for what you ask? What else, for use as scrub in the shower! (Oh you!)

And that’s another thing – we call everybody tito or tita. The Filipinos is one big family!

And I guess we’re the only race in the planet that says “Excuse excuse” when we have to pass in front of the TV or between people. With matching bowed heads and clasped hands. I love it that we’re so courteous.

TFC. I don’t watch teleserye in Manila…I get to watch it (and several times a day at that) when I’m in the US! What else is there to say?

And of course the CR (comfort room). One time, I badly needed to “go” and of course, in my condition I forgot they called CR by a different name (or is it us that calls it by a different name). So I asked where the CR was. The lady looked incredulously and said “What CR?” I looked at her just as incredulously with an expression that said “duh!”

You just gotta love being a Filipino!

No comments:

Post a Comment