Wednesday, October 27, 2010

simple joys...

Atty. Kristy went to the market and there she found her baskets.

That sure sounds like a line from a children's tale... and like all children's tales, that very, very short story has the makings of a happy ending. And happily her day did end with a plateful of pichi pichi from Amber's.

As she ticked off her finds for the day - the native baskets for her abubot,the baol made of yantok, the delish pichi pichi - I could practically feel her smile of delight through her text messages. She called her day out and her finds her "simple joys."

This got me to mull over the things that give me joy. Although I know there are countless things I should be thankful for, being content is something I'm struggling with. I have yet to learn "to be satisfied with what I have...whether I am full or hungry, whether I have too much or too little..." (Philippians 4:12).

Her "simple joys" (and the blog "Add to the Beauty") inspired me to start a Simple Joys for the Day/Week Journal which, I hope, could help me appreciate more and be thankful for the little blessings that usually go unnoticed.

So here goes my list of some of my simple joys (I'll start with some of the "joys" of last weekend-Oct. 23-26):

1. waking up to a beautiful sunny weather (when a storm was forecast)
2. being with my sister and her family
3. watching my niece hang at the bars, tumble on the mats and do other stuff at Little Gym
4. text messages about simple joys
5. bargains found at Eastwood Mall and at Landmark
6. preparing food stuff for the trick or treat at Valle Verde
7. dinner and a good laugh with "old" friends in a never-before-been-in resto
8. chicken burger with fries on the side and green tea
9. late-night bonding with my sister over a cup of coffee
10. attending a great party - the 7:30 A.M. Sunday Mass at Christ the King
11. malling and dining out with my sister's in-laws
12. safe drive home
13. Isabel watching videos of me dancing during the Homecoming (and calling my dancing "'ngit")
14. e-mails from friends in response to my posts
15. e-mails from friends I haven't heard from in a long while
16. an unexpected visit from a friend i haven't seen in long time
17. the chance to visit dad at Loyola
18. everyday Mass at NPC
19. lunch treat by a co-worker
20. the halloween show in NPC
21. kids' laughter and funny stories
22. work (as opposed to no work)
23. seeing nanay healthy
24. going home with friends
25. hearing from a mentor
26. my hilarious and forever "storytelling" boss and my cool co-workers
27. restful sleep
28. a good run
29. writing
30. conversations with Bro


more to come...

So what are your simple joys?





No comments:

Post a Comment