Tuesday, October 5, 2010

letter to Mom (on the homecoming)

Dear Mom,

Where do I begin telling you what a great weekend I had at Stella Maris. I've been visiting the school, you know. I was gone for so long, I was afraid at first - but the gels have been welcoming in spite of the years in-between. These were the girls I grew up with. You would have loved seeing them again. Some of them remember you and were asking about you. It touched me and I so wished that you were here. I would have taken you to the homecoming and you would have had the time of your life!

When I made my first steps back into the gates of Stella, I couldn't describe how I felt. Mercy called it "coming home"...and I couldn't agree more. But it felt more than just coming home. I was simply at a loss for words - until I read Atty. Kristy's "Sweet Inspirations" article and she aptly described how I felt. Coming back to Stella was like feeling the deeply-missed embrace of a mother.... and I did feel your warm embrace and everything felt so right.

One time, Mina came to practice with her mom and I watched them talking quietly and intently. I envy her. I would have given anything to have you here for quiet and intent discussions. But our talks were never quiet, were they? They were loud and funny and fun. I miss our talks, your stories and and our fights. I would have loved telling you about our bloopers, my wonderful leaders, my friends, the changes in us and at the school, and the real and “reel” Si-Cats (SCs). I know you would have loved to have seen again Mela and Mercy and Roxanne and Teresa. It would have been more fun had Myra and Gaby and Sheila and Jong and Tetet and Joy joined us. I know you felt relieved that I made friends with such "good" girls. Well, if you only knew how "bad" they can be….

Being the “showbiz” that you were, you would have loved hearing about Nonong Pedero and the music he created for us. You certainly would have reeled with joy at hearing Anthony Castelo sing and seeing him bring the house down with the catchy dance song he rendered. You would have probably gone on stage to dance…no, cling to him and kiss him like crazy. And of course, you would have dropped your jaw at Mercy's song numbers. I remember how you gushed with awe at her singing during my birthday party.

I so loved the girls I grew up with. They never cease to amaze me. I just loved that we started the program with a short prayer at the backstage and ended the celebration with a prayer of thanks. My leaders worked sooooo hard at and for this, I am put to shame. They were relentless at giving their all - they planned, tracked down, piloted the course, raised funds, collected samu't sari stuff, created, sang, danced, cheered and pushed. Mostly they inspired and sailed us home.

Me? I was a PA – a Pretty Alalay and I was good at it, thank you very much! Although I did ruin Atty. Kristy's rug and floor. Oh, and I sang and danced a bit. You know how I dance and sing like I’m nuts? Well, that’s exactly what I did. Someone in the office said I looked like Lady Gaga when I strutted on stage. I totally disagreed - I was just plain gaga!

The tribute given to the teachers and nuns was so moving it brought people to tears. As the teachers were being honored, I gave my own silent tribute to my first and best teacher – you, Mom! I remember how you glared those big eyes of your in frustration as you tutored me the day’s lessons; how you scratched your head and gave a big loud sigh as you wondered if I was really your child – you, a Summa Cum Laude and UP scholar, expected to have a genius of a daughter. Well, heller, mom! You have… I just haven’t figured out yet where I’m a genius at.

More than the school subjects, you taught me the things that really matter most in life - God, family, friendship, love, truth, charity, integrity, service and forgiveness. I know how you and dad wanted what was good for me and Emily. I guess that's why you insisted we attended school at Stella Maris. Stella was good for us in so many ways!

I never got the chance to thank you for getting me into Stella. I guess I never really recognized how the school shaped my life nor have I fully appreciated the girls who have and continue to inspire me....until now. You're right Mom - I made friends with the best of the batch.

Thank you, Mom, for the life lessons...and for Stellang pinakamamahal!


love you lots!

maan



No comments:

Post a Comment