Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows P2

No, this is not a movie review. Book 7 was the only book in the HP series that I didn't get to read. Book 6 was dark and depressing enough for me so I didn't bother with the last of the series. I have to admit, though, that I liked the movie - they certainly went all out and with a bang, so to speak, for this one.

But more than the special effects, I liked the movie for a whole other reason.

Sometime ago, one of my blog readers asked me this jeering question about my "Conversations with God" series of blog posts. I was asked, "Does God really talk to you? Do you really believe that?"

Of course, I had replied.

Maybe the question wasn't meant to jeer. Maybe it was asked out of curios wonder. Whatever the intent was, the question lingered. And soon, a semblance of doubt unsettled me.

In the movie, when Harry Potter was struck by his long-time nemesis, Lord Voldemort, Harry was transported into this dreamlike dimension where he encountered his mentor, Headmaster Albus Dumbledore. Harry, in his anxious and muddled frame of mind, asked the very question I have asked myself numerous times, "Is this all just happening in my head?"

And Dumbledore, in all wisdom, said, "Of course it's all in your head. But why should that mean it's not real?"

Maybe the messages I have been hearing in my meditations/prayers were just in my head. Maybe the lines in books or poems I read which I believed "talked" to me were just in my head. Maybe the conversation I overheard which I thought was meant to tell me something was just all in my head. Maybe the e-mail of a lesson I received was just that - an e-mail and the lesson was just all in my head. Maybe that meaningful conversation and experience I had was just an everyday simple conversation and was just all in my head.

Maybe they're all just in my head...but why should all these mean that they're not real?

Yes - more than the spectacular visual effects, I liked the movie for a whole other reason - it's God's answer to my questioning mind and His way of once again settling my once unsettled heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment