Monday, August 1, 2011

we reap what we sow

We were on the second night of the three-day seminar-recollection. Most of the time I was at the back, orchestrating the various needs for the seminar. I was exhausted. Drained. And, at times, frustrated. I kept wondering if I was doing the right thing...if I was doing enough...or if I had taken on more than I could handle...or if any of these was making a difference at all.

But...

There was this woman. She was one of the participants I had met a couple of weeks earlier during our recruitment program. I had read her profile and what I learned tugged at my heart. She was a soldier...a young widowed soldier with a 2-year old son. And with a frail old mother to take care of. But in spite of her circumstances, I never saw her without a smile in her eyes.

When I looked in on the session hall that weary night, the team was teaching the participants a fun song-and-dance routine before a short break. I spotted the woman soldier doing the song-and-dance while looking around as if in search of something or someone. I came over to see if she needed help. When she saw me, she gave me a big smile and said, "I was looking for you earlier. We just did the "Affirmation" activity and we went over to people who have touched us and blessed us. I was looking for you because I wanted to give you a hug and tell you that you have been a blessing to me."

I was rendered speechless (now, THAT is something). I just looked at her for a second or two, opened my arms and welcomed her tight hug.

"Thank you!" we both said.

I have no idea how I had become a blessing to this stranger. Maybe I had given her an encouraging smile when she needed it most. Maybe I had listened to her for the tiniest of a moment when nobody would. I don't know.

I guess it is true: "The smallest good deed is better than the grandest of intentions." The smallest good deed - the merest of a touch, the faintest of a smile, the littlest gesture of kindness, a word of appreciation - may be a world of a difference to someone, even to a complete stranger.

I don't know how I had become a blessing to her but God does. What she did, what she said, her show of gratitude and appreciation was my gift. My blessing. My answer...that I was doing something right, that I was making a difference.

We indeed reap what we sow...but in so many instances like this one, we reap what HE saw.





No comments:

Post a Comment