I’m single…BY CHOICE!
But that’s simply because I have no other choice. Given a variety of other choices, and what with all the multitude of people (even strangers) trying to marry me off, I should probably NOT be single now. As it is, I’m not only single but I’ve also remained virtually …ahhh ….“innocent”. Now this I put blame on my namesakes – Mary and Claire.
Yes, my full given name is Mary Ann Claire. And the few privileged who know this call me Claire when they want to pick a fight with me or if they want to annoy the hell out of me.
My mom and dad were not just hard core Catholics, they were super mega-to-the max hard core Catholics AND Mother Mary devotees. So when I came along, it was no surprise when they named me after the Virgin Mary and St. Ann. But why they had to name me after St. Clare would forever remain a rosary to me (you know, a rosary is full of mystery…ngyeee!).
St. Clare is known as the Foundress of the Order of the Poor Clares. She is also described as Virgin. Ahhhh. No wonder I'm...poor.
Don't get me wrong. I love and admire what my namesakes stood and lived for. It's living up to their exemplary lives that is difficult. But insofar as their "innocence" goes, I guess I've lived up to it...so far.
With these two namesakes, I should probably be called by a different name - “Virgin-ia” or “Virgie”. But, ex-cuuuuse me, I’d rather be called “Venus” (Greek goddess of love). Hey, they all start with “V”….even virgin. So maybe I can also be called "V".
So what’s in a name? A lot, I say! Call me, "Claire" if you want to pick a fight. Or call me "V"...for whatever it may stand for. Or call me by my real name, "Maan". Or call me "Manang" if you want me to unfriend you.
Chao,
"V"
No comments:
Post a Comment