Monday, September 19, 2011

bucket list

I have heard this often enough: "Life is short and we should not waste a moment of it." And I totally agree! Moved to act by the thought that "life is too short" and inspired by my 7-year old guru, Aldrien, to once again dream and believe that I can do and that I can be, I created my sort of "bucket list".

The term "bucket list" was derived from the expression "kick the bucket" which means "to die". A bucket list is a list of things you would want to do before you die. Although am so totally in love with the concept, the term may be a bit gruesome or morbid for me. So I named it "my someday list".

I thought I'd have difficulty coming up with a list of 50 things-to-do but as it is, "my someday list" is now over a hundred. I try not to limit myself to the list and have opened myself to new possibilities as they come along. Doing the list has made me realize the astounding wealth of experiences to be had.

I've classified it into -

1. Travel -
I listed local and "imported" destinations I would like to visit or revisit

2. Books/ movies / broadway/ plays - classical reads like Jane Austen books and cinematic classics such as Wuthering Heights and Gone with the Wind and broadway hits like Mama Mia, Les Miserables, Nunsense (my favorite)

3. Sports/adventures -
I'd like to learn boxing, swimming, parasailing, white water rafting (is that even a sport?)

4. New learnings - culinary lessons, education courses/subjects

5. Job -try out something new in a totally different field

6. Passion - rekindle my passion for the arts including the art of kakerengkengan

7. Nourishment of the soul - continue with my Appreciation and Gratitude Journey, volunteer at a hospice/orphanage, do acts of kindness EVERYDAY

8. Health - conquer fear and undergo acupuncture (for migraine)

9. Personal -
this is a long list of stuff to do like throw a mega party, go on a road trip without any itinerary planned, win the lotto (so I can do all this stuff hehehe. Is this even a goal? more like wishful thinking)

I reviewed and rethought and revised my list and it was only after I've gone over it for the 35th time that the irony of it hit me - the one thing that everybody else wishes for me and is pushing me to do is the one thing lacking in my list...finding Mr. Right! So what does this say about me?

I remember this shirt that my bffee gifted me. We saw it on display in one of the stalls in Greenhills Shopping Center. The moment we saw it, we both thought it perfect for me. The shirt says: "Tired of meeting Mr. Wrong." Well, let me say this - I'm also tired of looking for Mr. Right. From now on, he can go look for me. (Taray?)

Meantime, I'm going to enjoy doing "My Someday" list ;-). It's fun! Try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment