I remember a homily sometime ago, the priest asked us to say “love” every time he banged his hand on the podium. As his banging tempo increased, our chant “love love love love” soon sounded “blah blah blah blah” (go on, try it). His point: we ought to express our love.
Ouch! This is how I often am with family and friends – I don’t get to “walk the talk”. Come to think of it, I don’t even get to “talk” or say those precious words. I don’t know about you but I find it difficult to say the words (see…I can’t even write them). Why are we (or is it just me?) so reluctant to say them? Embarrassment? Fear of rejection or being vulnerable and hurt? We're so busy trying to protect ourselves we get too scared to take the risk. But love is a risky business.
I envy all those brave souls who are not afraid to risk it. Take my sister for instance. Her timing couldn't be more perfect. While I was writing this, she texted me just to say she loves me. Awww! Her efforts did not go for naught. Of course I texted her back. I said, "Thank you...but cash is better." hihihi
I remember my mom. Her days while she was sick were difficult for the family…that time certainly was most trying, emotionally and physically, for us. She was too weak so we dressed her, fed her, moved her to a comfortable position, lifted her so she could sit or so we could put her on her wheelchair. One time, she said to me that she hoped she got better soon so we wouldn’t have to be taking care of her. She was sick, she was in pain and all she thought of was relieving us of our “nursing duties”. It broke my heart. I hugged her and said that we were happy to take care of her…we were not happy that she was sick, but she had taken care of us and it was time that we gave back, it was our turn to take care of her. Taking care of her was backbreaking but I would do it (and more) all over again if given the chance. I said I loved her.
I wish I had expressed my love sooner. I wish we could have celebrated that love. I wish I was more patient with her and took better care of her. I wish I was a better daughter. I wish I wasn’t too late.
No matter what our relationship is with our family or with our friends, a word of love, appreciation or thanks or apology could spell the difference. Saying the words can be healing. Maybe not physically healing, but the words can heal wounds in relationships.
Life is short (as I have painfully learned) to waste our love on “blah blah blah”. Let's take a risk. I, for one, am going to risk it and express gratitude and love and appreciation TODAY. Tomorrow might never come. So... thank you!
Tuesday, February 8, 2011
blah, blah, blah, blah
Labels:
God,
mother,
reflection,
sister
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment