Saturday, November 26, 2011

bday (iloilo journal part 2)

Did you know that Iloilo City is tagged as the City of Love? I certainly didn't! It seems the word IloIlo was derived from ILOveILOve (or maybe this was something they made up) Hmmmm....

Anyway, you know how I welcomed my birthday? Well, November 19, around 9:30 pm, I was staring at my dirty clothes and decided I needed to do my laundry...only to realize I didn't know how! (Pathetic with a capital bold P!) So I googled how to go about the chore - washing cycle, fabric conditioner, and all. Close to midnight, I was done with the spin dryer and so I welcomed my bday hanging my laundry on the clothesline at the back of the guest house where I'm staying temporarily. . . only to be told by Manong Guard that it rained hard early in the morning! Do I even wash them again? No time to even think about it since I was going to be late for Mass. So I left the clothes still on the clothesline, thinking I'd deal with them when I get back.

So off I went to hear Mass at St. Clement's Church. It's a big, newish church with an amazing choir... I mean, if I was bulag, I'd fall in love with the male singers of the choir! But of course, no guy has yet topped my "ex-man"!

After Mass, I met with friends from the office to look for a place to stay. I found one - small but livable.

Then we commuted to SM City. Getting a jeepney or tricycle ride to anywhere here is, well, different.
The jeep/taxi/tricycle terminals are called "parkingan". Vans or FX as we call them in Manila are called "Vhire". The tricycles have their routes and you get off at designated drop off points unlike in Manila where tricycles give a "door-to-door" service. So as i rode my first jeepney ride to SM City, I got to say my first Ilonggo (the correct term is Hiligaynon) line, "lugar lang" (meaning "dito lang" - i think).

I treated to lunch as a sort of "thank you" these two guy friends from the office for taking me apartment hunting and bringing me to the mall. Actually, one of the guys I've known for years in NPC and he's like a kuya to me. This other guy I asked out (see, I'm getting brave at these asking-guys-out thingy) is a training staff and has been real nice ever since I got here but is waaaaay too young and is like a young brother...in other words, harmless.

After lunch, I asked the young guy if he wanted to see this movie I wanted to see. I wanted a good laugh so we saw
"Praybeyt Benjamin". I really had a good laugh more so because he treated me to the movies.

We separated ways at Gaisano since I had to look for stuff I would be needing for my new "home" - curtains, linen, etc.

I got back to the power plant complex around 7ish pm, wondering if the clothes have dried off or if I should do my laundry again. I went to the office first to drop off some stuff...and what do you know, it's now after 9 pm and I'm still in the office since it's been raining real hard since I got here (outpouring of blessings, I guess). My clothes!

Goodness! My bday started with laundry and I guess I'm going to end it doing laundry...again!

No comments:

Post a Comment