I was having a hectic day and I was asking just about anybody who happened to be around to help me out and to please do this for me or to do that and to get me this or that. One of the documents I needed was too thick to be stapled so I looked in my drawer for a fastener. I only found a “girl” half of the fastener. Without thinking of what I was about to say, I blurted out loud enough for the people in the next building to hear: “Noel, kelangan ko na ng lalaki…now na!”
Realizing what I just said froze me dead in my tracks as I looked sheepishly at my friend and said: “That didn’t sound right.”
Good thing he was a friend and thought nothing of it. A stranger would probably think me desperate (well, aren’t I? Don’t answer that!).
This is the story of my life…a series of embarrassing moments.
One time, after watching a movie at the mall, i was hurrying up to go to the ladies' room. Thinking that it was my sister who was right behind me, i grabbed hold of her hand while rushing about and whispered, "I need to GO! at nauutot pa ko!" I looked back at her to share some conspiratorial smile. Instead of my sister's face, I found myself looking at this stranger's face staring wide-eyed at me (why the heck didn't she wiggle out of my grab hold?). I casually let go of her hand and merely looked away as if I hadn’t said a single thing.
While in the middle of a crowd, a friend asked me the schedule of the cleaning lady that comes over to another friend's house. I replied: "M, W, ape (translation: F)" . Embarrassing!!
In one of my trips, a friend excitedly announced: "O, kodakan!". To which i replied, "Wait! Mag-refresh lang ako! (translation: Mag-retouch lang ako!). Gosh!
I even embarrass myself while in prayer. Every night, we gather around for a family prayer (well, “family” at home now consists mainly of me and my 2 yayas). One time, as I lead the prayer of the Apostle’s Creed, I prayed, “I believe in God the Father Almighty Creator of Heaven and Earth. I believe in Jesus Christ His only Son our Lord. He was conceived by the power of the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary, the Holy Catholic Church, the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins…”
I noticed the others had gone silent and were looking at me questioningly. Then I realized I had jumped forward and missed a whole section of the prayer. This was embarrassing not just to the others in prayer but most especially to God.
I silently said my "sorry prayer". Tao lang po!
It's a good thing my perfect God is forgiving and loves me...all of me, even my many embarrassing imperfections.
No comments:
Post a Comment