Monday, September 13, 2010

on dances and coffee table book

I’m doing this post while having my hair done at the salon. I badly needed to treat myself after a long and tiring weekend of practice for the SMC grand alumni homecoming celebration. Last Friday, the “dancers” for the program had a grueling non-stop seven(?)-hour practice. Some arrived as early as 10 am (wow!). Practice finished after 7 pm. After watching do our dance routines, our dance coach, Tin, was probably silently shouting, “MORE! MORE!... MORE PRACTICE!” We couldn’t seem to remember the steps to the 2-minute dances we’d have to perform! Senior moments galore!

After dancing the day away, there was more stuff to be done, however, I was told. The layout and selection of pictures for the coffee table book had to be completed ASAP. Since I was still pumped up and had reserve energy left (or so I thought), I did not hesitate to help out. But helping out was the last thing I did. While Atty. Kristy, Pia, Sairish, Weng and Mario were busily tinkering at the laptops or sorting some pics or going through lists or doing whatever for the homecoming, here were some of the things I did: ate jolly hotdog, stubbed my pinky toe (hurt like hell), bumped and bruised my leg against the bed post (hope I didn’t do damage to the bed post) and spilled water and ruined the rug and floor in Atty. Kristy’s bedroom where they worked.

It’s an understatement to say that I was no help. So after ruining the bedroom floor, I decided to stay glued to a corner lest I ruin anything else.

After 1 a.m., there were still work to be done… but home beckoned. So most of us packed up and left Atty. Kristy and Mario to do more work. I dropped off Weng, Sairish and Pia and headed home. As I was driving alone a little after 2:00 a.m., I felt useless and asked Bro why I was led to “help out” in the first place when I did little help, if at all. I could’ve been home resting or out having dinner. Why was I there? Then He said, “You brought them home.”

I felt shame after that. I was such a whiner. The officers of the committee have been at it tirelessly for months and they’re doing splendid work…and I don’t hear them complaining.

It was then reality hit me - we cannot all be movers and shakers of this world. There are also bit players to help move and shake. Every little bit of help counts a lot - coming to practices and meetings, being on time (a most definite plus), sharing our resources (a.k.a. money, cash, bread, datung, dough) and junk (also means cash) , give moral support (oh, I’ve got plenty of that to give), and yes, giving someone a lift…every little bit helps.

Much like in God’s little factory called earth - every one plays a role – big or small, a role just the same. And though I play a teenie-weenie role in His Kingdom, I'd like to do my teenie-weenie bit to help.

Lord, may I do my role, no matter how small, with a smile. Thank You for this role! And thank You for the "big" role players, especially those who play "big" in my life - my leaders, my mentors, my teachers. Bless them always!



No comments:

Post a Comment