Wednesday, September 1, 2010

conversion of the X-Men

I'm writing this out of "panghihinayang".

The Tagalog-English dictionary translates this Tagalog word as "pity or regret". Maybe so. But there is simply no English equivalent to my "panghihinayang". What or who am i talking about? Well, let me tell you.

I see him so dashing through the snow, in a one-horse open sleigh... oh wait, i got sidetracked with the onset of the "ber" months. Ok, here goes...

I see him and he is soooo dreamy looking and such a fine dresser. I hear him sing and it's like hearing an angel sing. I talk to him and he's so refined and is such a gentle man. Girls (and the questionables) swoon at the sight of him. I hear his friends talk about him and I only hear them say good things about him. What the heck is wrong with him then? Nothing except that... he is "WRONG".

"Wrong" you frown? Well, let me clarify...he's one of the X-Men (get it? ex-man?) - that's what's wrong.

Haaay! It is soooo frustrating to see all that "papable" goodness go to nothing...or should i say to no woman. For sometime now, I've made it my mission to pray for the conversion of the x-men. I tell myself that I need not end up as his Lucky Home Partner but any one of the female species would be answer enough to my prayer.

I think I've made some headway (or maybe it's just my imagination or wishful thinking on my part). But everybody seemed to be saying that all my efforts are futile. So, out of frustration, I've decided (temporarily) to take stock the advice of well-meaning friends and I've put off (again, temporarily) my quest for the conversion of the X-Men. I've, instead, taken up the old adage that says, "If you can't beat 'em, join them!"

In my pursuit to join the "race", I tried learning their language and so far, I've learned these:

Anik / Anetch — ano (what) / which

Baklah / Baklush — used instead of one’s name, may refer to any gender

Feel / feelanga /Fillet o’ Fish — type / gusto / crush/ like

Fly — alis (leave)

Jowa / Jowabelles / Jowabella — karelasyon / BF or GF

Enter the Dragon / Entourage — pasok (to enter) / come in

Crayola — iyak (to cry)

Itich - ito

Anong petsa na? — asked when someone is taking too long to dress up, etc.

Charing/Tienes — jest / a joke / not serious

Kaplang — mali (error) / mistake

Pamin, paminta, pamentos, pamenthol – discreet gay guy


Barbra Streisand / Barbara Perez — bara / binara (bluntly rejected)

Emote — mag-inarte pa rin (one who is over-acting)

Karir/Career — sineryoso ang isang bagay like BF or work (to be seriously involved)


Let me try it out: "Ano ba itich?! Kina-career ko ang pag-emote sa feelanga kong pamentos...pero crayola pa rin ako. Fly na lang kaya akish. Tienes!

Bagay ba?

Well, I'm off to learn something new...maybe I'll try learning their body language next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment