Ricky, my bro-in-law, organized a luncheon treat in honor of Mang Arthur, their school bus (well, it was a jeepney really) driver during their elementary and high school days. An assembly of "old" students formerly chauffeured by Mang Arthur paid tribute to their beloved Mang Arts for painstakingly ferrying them from home to
That same week, I found and made "friends" on FB with Aling Fanny, our"old" lady guard at Stella Maris. Aling Fanny said she remembers us girls but couldn't for the life of her recognize me from my FB profile pic. She said I looked good on my picture...which only means I look bad in person. Why, that old geezer...hmmp! (kidding!) No really, chatting up with Aling Fanny on FB and remembering with school friends our comical experiences with her was fun and funny!
But we didn't just make "chika" with her...we thanked her for years of protectively looking out and after us while under her watch. In our own miniscule way, we honored her for being a part of our lives.
The tribute to Mang Arthur and touching base with Aling Fanny got me to think - "Do I see...and I mean really see...the "little" people I encounter everyday? Do I exercise patience with my yayas at home or with the cashier at the grocery? Do I ask the guards or janitors in the office how they're doing? Do I greet back their "good mornings"? Do I thank these people? Do I even stop to look at them?"
It's easy enough to acknowledge and thank important personalities, those in position or with money, those with "power" who help us get ahead. It's sometimes even easy enough for us to think that we're better than the "Mang Arthurs" and "Aling Fannys" of this world. Are we? Really?
In spite of the concerns I face, I feel blessed…and in return, I also like to give back and be a blessing to others, particularly to those who are usually taken for granted. Being a blessing to others doesn't have to cost me anything, does it? It doesn't have to be a grand gesture like what my bro-in-law did (God bless him for his generosity), does it?
It wouldn’t cost me anything to smile at the sales clerk, would it? Would it take much effort to say “Thank you” to the security guard who graciously opens the door for me or to the waiter who hurriedly serves me food or to my yayas who take care of the house or to the driver for bringing me safely to my destination? Will it cost me much to politely say "Excuse me" or "Salamat" to the janitor cleaning the rooms and the hallways? Not much effort or cost is needed to carry out these small acts that could spell the change in someone's dreary life.
I look at my almost 2-year old niece, Isabel, and envy her innocence. She clings to and plays with and hugs her yayas with affection, waves goodbye at the security guards or says "hi miss" to the sales clerks at malls...without judgment, without prejudice, without concept of master or servant, rich or poor. I wish we could all be Isabel-like as we deal with the "Mang Arthurs" and "Aling Fannys."
As many "Mang Arthurs" and "Aling Fannys" have been a blessing to me, so will I try my best to be a blessing to them. Doing our own very small acts of kindness could not only make a difference in someone else's life...it could actually be the difference in our own lives.
No comments:
Post a Comment