"Miss Saigon", the musicale. Naah... I'm not much of a fan. I just saw this musicale like three times lang naman (once in Broadway (yabang!) and twice in Manila). Since this doomed romance (story of my life...haay!) had become one of my favorites, I was so excited to finally set foot on the soils where "Kim" fell desperately in love with "Chris". I know it was only a make believe play, but still...
The minute I got out of Saigon Airport, I was ready to rock 'n roll! I was so excited that I did not heed Romy's (the friend I was visiting) advice for me to rest before we scoured the streets of the city. Never mind that I hadn't slept a wink in 24 hours. Never mind that the night before my trip I had just come from a backbreaking dance practice for my HS alumni homecoming. Never mind that my head was floating in cloud nine from exhaustion. I was determined to be Miss Saigon!
So as soon as I dropped off my luggage, we went on our way to see the city. Saigon (it's called Ho Chi Minh now but I prefer calling it Saigon) is a busy city with motorcyles everywhere... and when i say everywhere, I mean they're on you're left, on your right, they're headed straight at you or so close behind you it's one way of saying "kissing ass". I had to close my eyes every single time our car turned at a corner - it always felt that we were about to collide with a throng of motorbikers. It was madness!
By nighttime, my body was telling me to rest a bit...I wasn't listening. I wanted to explore the stalls and the street food at the night market and experience whatever nightlife the city had to offer.
Dinner time, we set off to meet Romy's friend, Irene, who'd also come to visit Vietnam with her friends Rhea and Faith. We decided to try out the street food at the night market. We had a feast of authentic Vietnamese cuisine that was deee-lish! My favorite was shrimp dipped in coconut juice over fire (i have no idea what it's called).
When we were chillin' after stuffing ourselves full, I began to feel queasy. I was breaking out in cold sweat. I started to feel cold and lightheaded. I could feel myself about to black out. And I felt sick...sick as in barf, throw up, puke...arghh! Not a nice picture but I guess I looked sick too because they all suddenly asked what was wrong with me.
As I closed my eyes and began to black out, all kinds of thoughts flashed - I was thinking, "Ang make-up kooo! Malulusaw!" Then I blamed the food, "Ang takaw kasi sa shrimps!" Then I recalled the grueling practice the night before and thought, "I guess I'm not up for a showbiz life." But what was utmost in my mind was, "I'm not going to faint before the crowd of gwapings, was I? O dear Lord, help!"
And help did come at once. Romy and Irene were asking (in panic) the waiters for ice, for water, for a towel, for candy. Rhea was squeezing my hand in what I could only think to be some kind of reflexology move...or maybe she was just giving me a comforting squeeze. Another hand, Faith's, was on my face. Yes, that's right. Her hand was also squeezing my face... in Tagalog, "Nilalamutak ang mukha ko." Whatever they were doing was working because I felt better after a few minutes (and also after a round of barf...yuck!)
A waiter, who rushed by my side to hand over a small bottle of a smelly thingy that could wake the dead, asked if he could "maybe look for husband for me" (his words, not mine). What the waiter said sure got me to smile and reply, "Yes, please!"
God is so good, isn't He!?! If anything unpleasant was to happen like this fainting drama in my life as Miss Saigon, He always makes sure that I have angels nearby to give me rescue. Thanks to my angels in disguise - Romy, Irene, Rhea and Pet.. oops, I mean Faith (hihihi).
His loving provision knows no bounds nor time. His love and help are everywhere, every time... we just have to humble ourselves and ask and recognize the help for what or who they are.
No comments:
Post a Comment