Monday, November 8, 2010

on the NPC anniversary

Remember the Hotdog’s hit song ‘Manila’? “Manila, I keep coming back to Manila. Simply no place like Manila… I walked the streets of San Francisco, I've tried the rides in Disneyland… Somehow I feel like I don't belong…”

Well, I just realized that that song personifies the story of my relationship with NPC - I just keep coming back to it. I did try out the private corporate world for a few years, but I ended up back in NPC. Some years ago, I was shipped out, literally, to the US of A by my mom in the hopes (her hopes) of finding myself a “papa.” But all I got was a couple of offers from companies vying for my services (instead of a couple of guys vying for my heart - sigh). But - you guessed it - I found myself back in NPC.

I wondered out loud to friends this “I-keep-coming-back-to-NPC” fashion I seem to have developed for myself and a friend reminded and quoted back to me a lesson I had learned and shared: “I am exactly where I am supposed to be.”

After all that’s been said and done, I have come to realize that NPC has been good to me. Never mind the office politics. Never mind the MBA (may-backer-ako) system that seem to be prevalent everywhere anyway. Never mind the oftentimes confusing structure and system. Never mind the frustrations. It was here where I met some wonderful friends and mentors. It was here where work and life lessons were learned. It was the long tedious hours of work in NPC that had become my refuge when I suffered a devastating loss. NPC has been good to me.

Last November 3, NPC marked its 74th Anniversary. The weeklong celebration was the simplest NPC employees had seen or experienced. “Banderitas”and “tiangge” booths that usually adorned the office grounds during its anniversaries signaling a festive mood were nowhere to be found. Employees bemoaned the absence of bonuses. Many found the calendar of anniversary activities lacking excitement and thrill. Amidst the grumbles and the gripes, however, I found myself enjoying and feeling blessed for being part of the festivities.

I always say, “start any activity right – start it with a prayer.” And the anniversary couldn’t have kicked off more right than with a Thanksgiving and Healing Mass that was poignant and assuaging.

The 4 K Fun Run and Aero-Dance were other activities that highlighted the celebration. I was registered and suited up to join the Fun Run. But as soon as the sports official hollered "Go!", I decided to join the Aero-Dance. It was a blast! I simply looooved it. It wasn’t as punishing as the fun run but it was just as fun. I did get tired…from laughing! My cheeks hurt from laughing as I watched my boss do her own version of the dance moves. Now that she’s decided to join the regular dance workouts during Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, I’ve also decided to join if only to watch her do her stuff.

The Fun Olympics was another activity I wouldn’t have missed particularly the “Umbrella-Tissue” relay. Everyone rolled in laughter as players of our group executed the game with "parental guidance" moves. I wish this was caught on video…it would have created a wave on Youtube.

Another activity I truly enjoyed (surprisingly) was the anniversary party/program. It had very little, if at all, dragging or boring moments (again, surprisingly). The band seemed to have upped their level a tinee bit as they restructured their repertoire. I danced my heart out, not on the designated dance floor, but by my lonesome on a mini-dance area by the bleachers I created for myself where I danced like a total fool (nothing new). I simply didn’t care…I was having fun!

And of course, my favorite part of the program was…drum roll please….the Footloose number by Mr. "Wiling Willie" Dolatre! Need I say more?

Cash and stuff were also raffled off during the party. And though I didn’t win a single thing, I feel blessed enough as Noel, my BBF (Boy-Best-Friend, a label he himself coined and tagged) won the personal refrigerator.

Maybe its this “simple joys”attitude I’ve recently adopted that made all these seemingly simple activities fun and blessing filled; or maybe I’m just a shallow and easy-to-please person; or maybe, the anniversary activities, simple they may be, were really fun and exciting after all.

Next year would mark NPC’s Diamond Anniversary. I may not be around NPC to celebrate such a momentous event. Or maybe, as many are wondering, NPC might no longer be. No matter where the road leads, both for NPC and for myself, I am grateful for the years with NPC.

Thank you, NPC!

No comments:

Post a Comment